Monday, August 19, 2013

Mango Coconut Lassi with Chia Seeds and Cardamom



We've had some cooler weather in DC, and with autumn being my favorite season, I'm all for it! I love watching the leaves change color, I love pumpkin/pumpkin-flavored anything, I love cute fall clothes, and I'm getting married this fall (woohoo!) I spent this past weekend in Savannah, GA, and the weather there quickly reminded me that it is, in fact, still August (hmmph!) The hot weather got me thinking about lassis, and a recent lunch date with my mom to an Afghan restaurant had me determined to use cardamom in my next blog recipe. The result? A mango coconut lassi with chia seeds and cardamom! What's a lassi, you ask? It's a smoothie-type drink from India, combining yogurt, fruit, and spices, and it is soooo delicious and refreshing. I decided to add chia seeds for a little extra flavor and nutrition. Here's how you make it:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or plain works)
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (again, vanilla or plain)
2 Tbsp unsweetened, reduced-fat coconut (the brand I used is called Let's Do Organic)
1 Tbsp chia seeds
cardamom, to taste

Combine all ingredients except for the chia seeds and cardamom in a blender. Pour into a cup and stir in chia seeds and as much cardamom as you like. Enjoy and cool off in these last few weeks of summer!

Nutrition Information (makes one serving):

Calories: 265 | Fat: 8g | Carbs: 34g | Fiber: 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment